Saturday, September 20, 2008

Book Snob

My name is Rachae and I'm addicted to books. It's true. You can blame it on my parents for reading chapter books by Beverly Cleary to me before I was one. Or maybe it was my grandma - who worked in an elementary school library. Or my aunt who would take me to the book exchange and give me, literally, bags full of books to read at a time. And let's not forget the fact that I'm admittedly A.D.D. and can't stand a single moment without having my brain engaged in some activity or another.
Either way, I've turned in to a book snob. I have to have a book in my purse AT ALL TIMES. You never know when you might get stuck in a traffic jam, or when the Mr. might run into a store to grab something and leave me waiting in the car for (gasp!) 10 whole minutes of boredom. And it can't just be ANY book. It has to be a book that grabs my attention in the first page. If I'm not sucked in by then, I move on. At least I have standards, right?
I know it's nerdy to say, but the books almost end up like friends of mine. If I like a book, I keep it around and read it again..... and again..... and again. I wait just long enough that I forget enough about the book to make it exciting and new again.
I have to have the epic novels for when I'm in the mood for a long, delicious relationship. (think of a long movie) I choose the silly, "laugh out loud" books for busy or dreary days that need a little boost without too much depth. (think cheesy sitcom reruns)
And every now and then a bad "thriller," which usually end up not that thrilling at all, but give me a change of pace.
Recently, my husband bought me a book. It looked suspiciously like a bad romance novel, or one of those lame-o books you buy super cheap at the check out stand that aren't good entertainment or good writing. (He did, as a matter of fact, get it at the super market...)
I was pleasantly surprised when the book, Rococo by Adriana Trigiani ended up to be a flirty, sassy, and downright yummy little book. I would NOT suggest reading this book if you are trying to diet or live in a beige house, however. Every chapter leaves you hungry for something absolutely fattening and inspired to paint your home or reupholster your furniture in jelly bean colors and dashing designs. It's a light-hearted and quirky story about an odd little interior decorator in New Jersey whose family uses food to soothe and celebrate and who's constantly zipping about saving the day for everyone in his parish.
There are little recipes scattered throughout the book. I made this one today:


Our Lady of (Drown Your Sorrows) Cake

3 milky ways (in small pieces)
3 three musketeers (in small pieces)
3 snickers (in small pieces)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan. Melt the candy bars and butter in a sauce pan. Blend. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar. Then mix in shortening and eggs. Beat well. Slowly add buttermilk, beating until fluffy. Then add the vanilla and the candy bar mixture from the saucepan. Beat well. Pour into pan and bake 60 minutes.

YUM. There is also a recipe for "Heavenly Frosting" to go on top. This frosting looks delicious, but I was feeling cheap and didn't want to buy the ingredients. I also don't like marshmallows, like the recipe calls for. If you'd like the recipe for this frosting, give me an email, and I'll send it your way. What I DID use for frosting was simply whipped cream and then sprinkled on top a couple bars of crumbled Heath Bar.

Perfect for a rainy September Saturday!

0 comments: