Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Instead of Presents:


This child is receiving Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF). from:

Meds and Food For Kids

http://www.medsandfoodforkids.org/index.html


Think of LITERALLY saving a life this Christmas. For $68 dollars that you would normally spend on a person, save a child in Haiti from dying of malnutrition with a supply of a special peanut butter substance that can reverse the effects of malnutrition, starvation, and death in a matter of days. This peanut butter is gentle on the most starved bellies, which are incapable of ingesting normal food in the advanced stages of starvation. It also requires no refrigeration or preparation, which makes it possible for the poorest of the poor to use and keep without spoiling.
I have heard about this substance and it's miracle-like qualities on a documentary on television. I watched them drop packets from a helicopter into remote locations plagued by natural disasters, war, and famine.


And today I read THIS ARTICLE on cnn.com that made me want to cry, scream, and be sick all at once. And it made me think, WHAT can I DO? I want to GO and HELP, but I have little children at home. I can't go running off all over the globe.... at least for now.... so in the meantime, how about I ask that instead of gifts, you save a life for me this year? And in honor of my well-fed, much loved, and blessed little children, we save one who wasn't so lucky as to be born in the Land of Plenty like my own?


4 comments:

Maki said...

Did you know all these little souls need just 14cents worth of sugar water to survive? I mean it's so heartbreaking:(

We can give them food, ton of food with little money that we spend for a cup of Starbucks. I think I am going to stop Starbucks for a while and send the money for the kids in Africa instead.

Thank you so much for this post:)

Sabina said...

What a wonderful post -- I will pass along this information!!

Momma Chae said...

Thank you, ladies!!!

Kaci said...

Great idea - thanks for posting about this! I've been looking for a good way to do something meaningful with holiday giving this year and this is the perfect solution.