Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Pacifist ( Of Sorts)


Perhaps I’m an oddball, but I think maybe a lot of moms will understand me when I say:
I was mostly a pacifist…. But then I had kids. And before that, I had sisters. And always, I’ve had my parents. And my pets. And the obnoxious, yet endearing little students in my class….

And for each of these, I would FIGHT. I would act rashly, yet with conviction, and with my fists. Of course, I am so blessed to live in a land where I have not had to defend my loved ones from physical harm. But what about the parents around the world who are not so lucky? What of the wars and genocide that I read about in my recliner, scanning through a National Geographic article while sharing fruit snacks with my toddler?

I have often been sexist enough to believe : If women ruled our nations, we would have World Peace. Because I can not imagine most women willing to hurt the children of others’. But then again, I CAN imagine most women willing to pick up arms if her babies were in jeopardy, or if her babies had been harmed by an enemy that is visible and available to strike at in retaliation. And here lies the problem with peace. It seems that so many wars, so many attacks, are based on a deep and personal need for revenge. How do we heal wounds that go so deep in so many of our world cultures?

Perhaps the answer lies in more of us deciding to do more Good than Bad. Perhaps it lies in the lucky ones standing up and saying something. Spread the word, condemn the atrocities, and celebrate the just, the wise, and the peaceful nations and individuals that represent the world most of us dream of. Let’s reach out and help those who have fallen. Open our hearts, our wallets, and our nation’s doors. We have all heard the wonderful stories of
Doctors Without Borders, Remote Area Medical, and of individuals taking the time and the expense to bring children to America for free medical service for injuries obtained in an adult war. Perhaps the oppressed, the malnourished, and the bereft will be better served if they see an overwhelming surge of support, love, and goodness pull them out of their current hells. Perhaps the need for revenge, and the never-ending cycle it travels, will be overtaken by the mercy, thankfulness, and selflessness that I believe most of humanity really does posses.

And how do we do this? Perhaps we can start by screaming “Bloody Murder:” as these people did, until someone takes notice:


CNN Presentation on acts of Genocide that were widely ignored by the rest of the world:













0 comments: