Friday, October 2, 2009

Drama-Rama Cat Rescue

So I went to work out the night before last and found a wounded cat on my way home. I know what you're thinking: You are So NOT surprised. It was pretty horrible for me, as the cat was bleeding and limp and I couldn't tell where her wounds were because it was so dark and the cat was black. Luckily, I was about 2 blocks from home, so I gently picked her up, held my coat over her, and drove home with her held like a baby in my arms. I called ahead to my husband so that he could get a cat carrier ready and then we all went to the emergency vet. I had blood all over me. The next morning I was on the phone with the vet and was emailing all the animal rescue organizations I know in the area. Because once an animal is in my sights, it's my responsibiltiy. This ends up being a very expensive mindset, let me tell ya.
Here's the email I (desperately) sent:

#1) Hello! You guys have helped me before with a wounded cat I found at Hunters Farms, so I thought I’d email you again for some info and resources. Last night I found a cat on the side of the road that had been hit by a car. I took it to the ER vet and they told me this morning that it is a young female with some broken teeth, bad abrasions, and a wounded hind leg in a cast, but she will definitely recover. It was really horrifying for me, so I’m very glad she’ll be ok. When I found her she was in shock and had blood all over her fur. Now that I know that she’ll recover, I will be placing signs up to look for possible owners, but need to prepare for the possibility that I might need to find her a loving home. Before I do that, I need to find a low-cost place to get her spayed, vaccinated, etc. (If she is un-altered. They can’t tell yet.) Could you point me in the least expensive direction? Pet rescue gets expensive and I seem to find many animals in need of rescue!

Thank You!

and then today----

#2)

Hello,

Yesterday I wrote to you about the cat I found on the side of the road. I went to see her at the vet office and get some pictures of her. She was very lethargic, but they aren’t sure if it’s reaction to the pain meds and mild head trauma, or if it is more severe brain damage. They say that she was feisty in the morning when they had to change her bandage, so that’s a good sign. Her leg was bandaged due to a very bad “de-gloving” of her skin on one hind paw. Her other hind paw has a gash that will need stitches as well. Other than that, she has very soft and silky fur and a sweet face. I was able to pet her and talk to her for a good period of time.

I put signs up in the neighborhood and an advert. On Craigs List. So far, I haven’t had a single call. I worry that I won’t find her owner. After speaking with the doctor yesterday, I am even more concerned. Apparently, they will merely keep the cat on pain meds and keep her wound bandaged but will do nothing further until paid by the owner. If the humane society gains custody of the cat in a week, then the cat will go to them. I assume that the projected price of care and treatment (over a thousand I was told) will cause the humane society to have to euthanize her. I would gladly take her myself, or find her a home, but I wouldn’t be able to find anyone to adopt her with that kind of price tag. ARF offered a wonderful deal for spaying (if needed) and vaccinating her once she is healthy, but now my immediate concern is saving her life. If she is not brain damaged, I would hate for her to die simply because of a leg injury that no one can afford to fix.
So, does anyone know of, or offer, free or low cost vet care for charity cases like this poor little gal?

Thank you for your help and resources.

And here is the response I got today!
Rachae,
The cat is in transit at this time to our vet. She has been named ****(my last name!)

Sincerely,

Tiami Coleburg
Executive Director
Rescue Every Dog
www.rescueeverydog.org

Rescue Every Dog is a 501 C3 Non Profit Agency.
"Because Every Face Deserves a Place with Dignity and Grace"

"Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision." Shawnee Chief Tecumseh

YEAH!!! R.E.D. to the rescue!
I am so thankful for all of the wonderful, selfless people in this world who make a CAREER out of taking care of our smallest and most defenseless friends.

If you are an animal do-gooder as well, send some donations to R.E.D. at:
Because they actually DO what so many of us wish we could.

3 comments:

foxy said...

EXCELLENT ENDING to that story! Thanks so much for sharing... made me tear up a little!

Becky said...

That just gave me goosebumps.


YAY!!!

That sweet little soul is on it's way to a good life.

Thank you !

Elle Bee said...

Ah. I love happy endings! What a great organization.
Elle