Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Appreciation

My recent silence on the crisis in Haiti hasn't been for lack of thoughts and things to say. In truth, I have SO much to say that I haven't been able to put it together in an organized fashion. Like many of you, I find it so horrifying and heart wrenching to watch tragedy unfold without any ability to physically help. Monetary donations are appreciated and desperately needed, but if you're a hands-on type, this hardly seems like an adequate response. I want to DO something.

So, I did what we all should do on a regular basis anyways - I appreciated and made sure NOT to take for granted every moment with my healthy, safe, and comfortable little family this weekend. When I see footage of a two year old being pulled out of rubble - I can't help but lean over and cup the sweet little cheek of my own. We are so lucky - so incredibly lucky.
While on the way to the Monster Trucks this weekend, we stumbled on the very best family restaurant in the universe. Sombreros, a balloon artist,balls of fresh tortilla dough to use as play dough, fabulous service, and the most incredible fresh Mexican food - no cans used in the kitchen! It sounds like a loud, boisterous family restaurant, but it wasn't. It was somehow perfect for children, but classy and tasteful. Perhaps because all the kids were occupied and all the adults were wearing balloon hats?
Chevy's:

Best. Appetizer. Ever.
I don't know what it was - but it had something made with corn, some kind of heavenly sauce, and shrimp. And I don't even like shrimp.

Best. Salad. Ever.
(And now I'm hungry from looking at this picture.)
Tortilla Dough


fresh salsa
And get this --- We found out that 2 days a week, kids eat free. We just happened in on one of the free days!
And then we saw this place on the side of the road and had to pull over:

Turns out, Addison is a bit of a hillbilly. (which we already knew, I guess.) The second the monster trucks revved their engines, she was grinning, cheering, holding her "squeeze-it"
juice up in the air like a beer bottle and hollering her head off.


(balloon corsage from the restaurant)

Look closely and you can see Addison's Geographic Tongue. Yes, this is a real condition. Addison is following the esteemed family tradition of bizarre and mysterious diagnosis. You go, girl.
We also started the fairy trail this weekend. We informed the kids that we found some things in the woods that led us to believe fairies were decorating and moving in... so we went on a walk and let them find for themselves...
We'll add as the weeks go by. - I'm thinking darling little bird houses to nestle in the trees as fairy houses...


A cat and a good book - two of my favorite things.
Finally - my first knit hat!
My model:
His new tote bag made out of a too-small, but favorite shirt:
A very lovely weekend overall.

2 comments:

foxy said...

Okay, it's not even 9:30 yet and I'm hungry after looking at those photos!! YUM.

Your first knit hat looks GREAT! Did you use self-striping yarn? I love that stuff. And also love the repurposed t-shirt/bag!! What a super idea!! That is definitely recycling at it's finest. :)

Lacey said...

It looks like it was a perfect weekend! And you're right, we all are so incredibly lucky. :-)