Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans

While searching for images to convey why I admire veterans, I found myself becoming more passionately against the wars we keep sending them to fight.
And at the same time - I saw pictures of such violence, despair, and horror that I felt disgusted at myself in my yellow kitchen with my cheery houseplants and scented candles. How can I sit here when there are mothers clutching wounded children? How can I sit here, blogging of all things, when there are suicide bombers targeting school children, women getting stoned to death, and the babies.... the little babies...
Although I believe in NOT censoring the ugliness, not perpetuating the naivety of the masses, I also believe that the best way to change the minds and hearts of others starts first with LOVE. So I'll keep the ugly pictures off my blog, and forever try to erase them from my mind.
War is ugly. War is dark.
I know that the best veterans - the men and women of honor, integrity, and grace feel the same way. The men and women who save lives, ensure freedoms, end oppression, and defend our homeland deserve our deepest respect. Under the harshest circumstances, facing the most obscene and vile enemies, they keep their hearts and intentions pure.
Many of them joined to be heroes.
Many of them joined to make a difference in our world.
Thank You.
“The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything”
~Albert Einstein









3 comments:

Beth said...

Oh, how I love this post! Indifference can be so dangerous.

Lacey said...

This was really beautiful. I like the pictures you chose, also. :-)

foxy said...

True, true heroes. Thanks so much for sharing... :)